Levels: All Levels
Offered: Five Thursday Mornings in May, 10:30 - 12.00pm
Instructor: Sherry Halperin
MEMOIR WRITING WORKSHOP
Your Life ….Your Story
Over the next five weeks, participants will zero in on the main emphasis of their individual story, discover how to begin their book, learn the paths of getting their story published whether it be with an established publishing house or self publish for family and friends, and complete an outline and first chapter. The classes are interactive, with positive criticism. I will be available via email to advise along the way with suggestions on the first chapter and help with any writer’s block that may happen.
- Week 1 What is a memoir? Why is it important for you to get your story told? Who is it for – family/friends or public? Mechanics of starting. How does a memoir differ from a novel? Let’s start the writing process by zeroing in on the most important concept of your memoir and write a paragraph about it.
- Week 2 Structure – let’s find the beginning, middle, end of your story. How to keep your story moving forward. The temperature of truth and legal ramifications of dramatic license. Descriptive writing.
- Week 3 Writing to music – we will explore how music contributes to our emotions. How to critique. Concentration on characters and setting while critiquing your first two pages that have been written outside of class.
- Week 4 Nuts and Bolts – how to self publish, find an agent or publisher. Pros and cons of each. What is an ISBN #, how to write a query letter, blogs, writer’s conferences, book festivals.
- Week 5 Critique first completed chapter by participants in class. Where you go from here.